WHO ARE WE?
The Gazette is a paid circulation weekly
newspaper serving the communities of Baldur, Belmont, Cypress River, Glenora,
Glenboro, Ninette, Stockton, Treesbank & Wawanesa.
We are located in southwestern Manitoba
approximately 100 kms southeast of Brandon and 180 kms southwest of
Winnipeg, MB. - Canada.
The Gazette is published on Thursday. Deadlines are
Tuesday at 1 p.m.
- Mr. S.R.P. Cooper established the Baldur Gazette on June
30, 1898. Earl and Joy Johnson took over the Gazette in 1963 from Earl’s
mother, Edna Johnson, who operated the business since 1948. So the weekly
newspaper has been operated by the Johnson family for the past 67 years.
- In the spring of 1986, Earl and Joy’s oldest son Mike,
- In January of 1989, Earl and Joy purchased the Belmont News
and the paper became known as the "Gazette-News".
- Earl and Joy’s second son Travis, joined the family
operation in 1990.
- In the fall of 1994, Mike and Travis purchased the Glenboro
- In the fall of 2002, the family also purchased a grocery
store in Baldur, known as "Baldur Trading".
- In November of 2003, the Baldur Gazette-News and the
Glenboro Gazette were amalgamated to form the Baldur-Glenboro Gazette having
a combined weekly circulation of 1,400 homes.
- The family business besides publishing their weekly
edition, also publish special editions, do commercial printing, handle school
& office supplies and help manage the grocery store. Besides
themselves, they employ approximately 11 others.